July 24: Jakarta and KAPAL



An eye opener of a day. Rini, the main organizer of my trip to Jakarta, came to get me in the morning and took me to her office at KAPAL Perempuan---a non-governmental organization (ngo) that engages in alternative education in urban poor neighborhoods especially doing trainings on the subjects of : gender and environment training, gender and community organizing, training on gender and religion, education for gender justice for marginal women. (see pic) We all had a wonderful lunch around their conference table. Most of the women who make up KAPAL are quite young (or am I quite old!). Their director, Yanti Muchtar, started the organization 13 years ago with little or no funding. They are now funded by the Ford Foundation, amongst others. I had such an appreciation for their work, especially bridging gender and religion, and how unique it was for an ngo.

No comments: